Something that concerns us the most is the safety of our home when we are leaving. Especially when you are on a long-term vacation. To improve security, there are some applicable tips for you to strengthen your front door. This way, you will ensure that there are no surprises when you return to your home.
- Why Should You Prioritize the Front Door?
- Ways to Effectively Improve Front Door Security
- #1 Installing a Door Chain
- #2 Use A Good Security Lock
- #3 Automatic Closing for the Door
- #4 Install a Peephole
- #5 What about an Electronic Peephole for the Door?
- #6 Extend the Screws in Your Security Elements
- #7 Installation of the Security Layer
- #8 Secure Sliding and Glass Doors
- #9 Secure Wooden and Metal Doors with Sufficient Width and Depth of the Profile.
- #10 Secure Wooden or Metal Doors where Multi-point Locks Cannot Be Installed
- #11 Secure Wooden Doors without Sufficient Profile to Insert a Multi-point Lock.
- Final Thoughts
Why Should You Prioritize the Front Door?
The front door is one of the most important points to avoid theft or major problems. In addition to a good door, some certain elements or aspects can help make the door much safer: locks, peepholes, locks, etc. Therefore, we propose different ways to improve the security of the main door.
Ways to Effectively Improve Front Door Security
As a general rule, a front door has metallic materials combined with wood. It can be considered safe. However, it can always be reinforced by following some small tricks.
Here are 11 tips on how to make it even more secure:
- Installing a Door Chain
- Use A Good Security Lock
- Automatic Closing for the Door
- Install a Peephole
- What about an Electronic Peephole for the Door?
- Extend the Screws in Your Security Elements
- Installation of the Security Layer
- Secure Sliding and Glass Doors
- Secure Wooden and Metal Doors with Sufficient Width and Depth of the Profile
- Secure Wooden or Metal Doors where Multi-point Locks Cannot Be Installed
- Secure Wooden Doors without Sufficient Profile to Insert a Multi-point Lock
#1 Installing a Door Chain
The security chain is a very good option to reinforce the security of the house. The accessory that we are going to place is composed of two pieces. The one that we will attach on the door and another on the frame.
With this door chain, the door will remain locked until we are sure that we want to let the person or people who have called the doorbell pass. Even if the thief successfully destroys the lock, the door still has an additional security barrier.
#2 Use A Good Security Lock
The cornerstone of the security of your main door is the type of lock you install. The current locks are very varied concerning the level of security they offer to your home. The selection of this hardware should not be taken lightly due to the threats that exist today.
A traditional security lock
(photo shows Kwikset single cyl. deadbolt)
A smart security lock
(photo shows Schlage FE469NX-LAT-619-CEN with touchscreen and built-in alarm)
Now, if you have installed a lock in your house that does not have the greatest security, you should not worry; It’s time for you to take action on the matter in terms of home security. Research the most reliable brands of locks in the market.
A good security lock is essential for the main door of the house to be safe. If you want to change your security lock, you can follow these steps:
- The first thing we will have to do is release the frame door and remove the old lock. We remove the handle, remove the bowler, and take out the box.
- Now, attach the new locking system. You need to adjust the central box in the hole that has been left after removing the old lock. With a pencil, we mark the position of the boxes.
- Next, we make the channel to embed the metal profile. To perform this task, we will use the milling machine provided with a special mill to make grooves.
- The next step is to empty the three boxes. With the drill and a wood drill bit of a diameter similar to the width of the lock, we make several holes along with the space that each box will occupy. Next, we review the inside of them with different sized forms, until it is perfectly smooth.
- Now, replace the drill bit with a crown saw of a diameter similar to that of the shield of the new lock and make the recess in the door. Then, we drill the holes for the counter-shield, with a wood drill of the appropriate diameter.
- After covering the hole of the handle we had, we install the new lock system in the door and fasten the aluminum profile with some screws that, normally, they are included in the kit.
- After that, we put the door in position and mark the points where we will place the plates. Next, we make the recesses to accommodate them. First, we make the holes and then, we match the areas with the forms.
- Now, we can put the plates and secure them with their corresponding screws. To carry out this task, it is important to use a tip appropriate to the shape and size of the screw head.
- Insert the cylinder in the door, install the shield and put the backrest.
- Finally, we fix the latch and check that the three-point lock works correctly.
- By replacing the simple lock of the entrance door with a better one will reinforce the security of our home against thieves. It is a very simple job that can be carried out by any DIY enthusiast.
#3 Automatic Closing for the Door
An automatic closing on the door can prevent us from unknowingly leaving the door open. Also, it is very practical for the days you arrive home with your hands busy and you cannot close it. Do not miss the step by step on how to place an automatic closure on the door.
- When acquiring the dock, we must know the dimensions and weight of the door. We have chosen a model that allows different closing forces and that we can install on doors that open both to the right and the left.
- First, we attach the base of the system in the door frame, taking into account the margins indicated by the manufacturer.
- Next, we fix the metal part in position with its corresponding screws.
- The next step is to install the plastic guide on the door. We calculate its position and indicate the points to be drilled.
- With a wood drill, we make the holes and then screw the piece.
- Insert the arm in the stop and finish the work adjusting the closing speed to our liking.
- Another advantage of this system is that, when we do not want the door to close by itself, we remove the arm from the support and position it vertically, next to the base.
- Thanks to this practical accessory, we can be sure that the entrance door of our house will always close automatically.
#4 Install a Peephole
- First, we must measure the thickness of the door to acquire the appropriate sight glass. In the market, we find a wide range of sight glasses in different sizes and thicknesses. They also exist in different colors, so we can choose the model that best suits the handles.
- Before making the hole with the diameter of the sight glass, we will make a guide hole using a fine wood drill. Thus, we will prevent the door from splintering. When drilling, be sure to do it at the right height.
- Next, we replace the fine drill bit with one of the diameters of the sight glass and make the hole. Conveniently, this drill is made of metal, since we start from a small hole and the accessory will settle better.
- This time, we attach the drill bit on one side of the door and without getting through it completely. We insert it on the other side. This way, the hole will be clean without splinters.
- Now, we only have to unscrew the two cylinders of the sight glass, insert them into the hole and join them again. A detail that you must take into account in this step is that the lens always has to be on the outside of the door.
With this simple way to install peephole, we have won in security, since we will not have to open the door blindly.
#5 What about an Electronic Peephole for the Door?
As with the previous peephole, with this peephole, we will improve the security of our home. In this case, we can see more clearly who knocks on the door. Here’s how to install one:
- For that, the first thing we should do is unscrew the old sight glass with the help of a screwdriver.
- Next, we disassemble the new accessory and check that the visor fits perfectly in the hole. Otherwise, we would have to enlarge the gap.
- After that, we pass the cable, place the sight glass in its housing, and screw the mooring tube.
- Let’s go now with the screen support. We insert the cable in the hole of the support, and after making some guide holes, we fasten the metal piece in the door with its corresponding screws.
- Now, we put the batteries on the screen. We plug the peephole to the screen and finally, we hook the screen in the holder.
- To turn it on, we have to press the button and the viewfinder will remain operational for the next 10 seconds. Then the screen will turn off.
Thanks to this digital peephole, we can see visitors perfectly, avoiding any risk of insecurity against strangers.
#6 Extend the Screws in Your Security Elements
Place the fastening screws of your hinges and locks measuring three-quarters of an inch in length. Not only is it an economical, fast and effective solution, but it is also a proven method for optimizing the security of your entrance door.
In any case, your door is likely to end up being damaged in the face of attempted robberies, but at least your neighbors will have noticed that someone is trying to steal the goods inside your home. You will already think at some point to also change your entrance door.
#7 Installation of the Security Layer
If there is something better than a door, that is the second door. Placing an additional door to the one you already had before improves the security of your house considerably. In this case, the doors act as security screens that have space for another lock.
Why do we say this? Because the thieves have little time to enter the houses. Then, the presence of a security door reduces their productivity. Hence, these security layers will slow down their progress for entering your home by force.
A security barrier has perforations that will help you easily spot the thefts without having to leave the house. In turn, you will not suffer any damage from external threats.
#8 Secure Sliding and Glass Doors
The vulnerability of the properties depends on the quality and strength of the doors. Sliding glass doors are a clear example of the doors we must reinforce immediately.
Criminals can break the glass to steal your valuables. If we want to avoid the intrusion of criminals, we must reinforce all the weak points.
Not only must we take into account the main door, but we must also secure the other doors that may be violated by the friends of others. Keep in mind that it is these that will make the most of the weak points to make their own on your property.
In the market, we can find endless elements that we can use to provide more security and resistance to our properties so that it can withstand the attacks of criminals.
Locksmiths recommend the reinforcement of glass doors by using security grids or films (example). Security grids are ideal for those people who like this type of door but feel the desire to protect them, so they feel safe.
#9 Secure Wooden and Metal Doors with Sufficient Width and Depth of the Profile.
It means that, if the door has enough profile, the ideal would be to install a multipoint lock, in this way you would avoid leverage. A high-security cylinder must accompany this door.
#10 Secure Wooden or Metal Doors where Multi-point Locks Cannot Be Installed
In this case, the most advisable thing would be to place a high-security bolt. This system will safely avoid the leverage of the door by thieves by having another security point at the top of the door.
Ideally, you should choose a bolt with an anti-dumping, anti-fouling system and an anti-drill safety bushing. If you want something more sophisticated and safer, you can take the option of installing an invisible electronic lock.
#11 Secure Wooden Doors without Sufficient Profile to Insert a Multi-point Lock.
In this case, it would be advisable to install a three or five-point overlap lock. This way, you would convert a conventional door into a door with high security. These types of locks are available with interchangeable cylinders, allowing you to place the cylinder that best suits your needs.
As you have seen, there are several ways to secure the entrance door to the house, you just have to take into account what door you have and from there, choose the safest and easiest type of lock or cylinder to install. Install a peephole or an electric peephole to make sure you know who’s standing in front of the door before you open it.
All these measures will help you effectively protect your home and your family from burglary and intruders. In addition, you might also consider security cameras – read more in this article.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?